Thursday 20 February 2014

A TWO-DAYS TOUR TO BUDONGO FOREST RESERVE



Have you ever thought of making an unforgettable Uganda Safari in your life? This happened to me as I decided to tour Budongo forest that is found in Masindi about30km from Kampala. I started my journey at around 2:00pm from Kampala Taxi Park in a bus. While in the bus, it took us only two hours to get to the reserve. I made sure I reach early before the gates of Murchison National Park are closed.Consequently, tourists are not allowed in beyond 7:00pm so as to prevent accidents since at this time different species of game cross the roads from one side to another. I witnessed this when an monkey was about to enter into the wheels of a certain car leaving the parking yard of Budongo Eco lodge out of the blue, 30 minutes after I had arrived in the park.Budongo Eco lodge is situated in the heart of the forest reserve inside Murchison Falls National park.

A WONDERFUL EVENING AT THE PERK
I was invited for a campfire as I waited for dinner and I joined over 30 tourists from different corners of the world. But as I had just joined other tourists, one of the guides warned us against eating foods with strong aromas such as meat and bananas, so as not to provoke the attack of animals like leopards and chimps. What I can never forget about this campfire is the sweet piece of music by an owl nearby. It gave that strong emotion of being at peace with nature.
A glance at the finely furnished interior of the Eco-friendly room in the Hornbill lodge was enough eye candy for me. The rooms at this lodge are too organized that I even wished I could have my honeymoon here. I had a wonderful night at this place and one unique thing that I can ever forget is that I forgot to dream.

Chimp  trekking in the morning
I woke up at around 8:00pm and I remembered that I had to go chimp trekking. But before going for the day’s adventure, I first joined other tourists and had a cup of coffee. The guide on duty briefed us about the planned chimpanzee trekking. Without this coffee, there is no doubt that would have reconsidered trekking the moment the forest welcomed us icy due drops from its trees. It was cold as if winter had struck Uganda.

By 9:00am we were happily lost in the middle of the forest. This forest I said to have been the hunting ground for Bunyoro’s king and that’s why sometimes its called Kabalega’s forest.
As we made our way through the thick green forest, we heard roars from the trees. We later discovered it was a clique of four chimpanzees fighting to ripe apart a white monkey. Unfortunately for the poor monkey; it was not only fighting for its dear life, but also preyed on alive.

In the forest: the guide told us that there are about 350 species of birds and 289 species of butterflies. He also noted that Budongo forest has the oldest trees in Uganda, with muvule of about 220 years and mahogany of about 250 years.

Time for departure
Had I not had a crucial appointment in Kampala that evening, the beauty of Budongo forest was going to keep me there for along time. So I left Masindi at around 2:00 pm for Kampala.

How to get to Budongo forest
Using private arrangement, you can find your way to Masindi by road and there after drive 30km north to get to Budongo Central Forest Reserve through Kichumbayobo gate.Take the main road to Para if you want to get to Budongo Eco lodge for about 12km.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.